Saturday, July 31, 2010

Full Moon (By Jason)

Heard a new song on the radio today by Chris August, Starry Night, and it got me thinking. One of the lyrics says ‘I’m giving my life to the only One who makes the moon reflect the sun, on that Starry Night, He changed my life’. For whatever reason, picturing the moon in the sky at night made me think about our call as Christians and how I long to be a FULL MOON.

Think about the moon for a minute. While the moon is beautiful, it can only be truly appreciated when the light of the sun is reflected off of its surface. Also while the moon remains constant: it constantly rotates the earth, it has a consistent surface, it is always present, it is only when the sun shines on its face that the moon is used to its full potential. So while the moon may always be constantly around, it is not always as useful.

I think that we as Christians are moons in the sky of the world. Only when we are present in darkness can we make a real difference as this is when our ‘light’ is noticeable. While we can be seen in the sky during the day, we are merely another light that can be seen and we make little difference. The moon in the sky during the day is the picture that I see of Christians today that refuse to go out into the world. When Christians live within the confines of their church body and refuse to interact with non-believers, we are mere lights in a room of lights. God calls us to help shed His light on the rest of the world, so as ‘moons’ the best way to do that is to Reflect His Light in the darkness while at the same time trying with all of our power not to become part of the world.

Also, the moon cycles constantly, the same way we as Christians do (at least I do). Have you ever said to yourself ‘Man I had a great week/day with the Lord; I sure hope I can keep this hunger for his Word all the time’? And the next week your saying ‘how the heck did I get here, I haven’t prayed to God about this difficult decision at all?’ the list goes on and on. If not, maybe I’m the only one…... We cycle in and out of His light, all the while His light remains constant. All the while, he is waiting for us to peak around the corner of the world to be engulfed in His glorious light. That is why I Long to be a FULL MOON in the darkness. I long to shed His light on the sleeping world just to tell them ‘God is here, He loves you, just follow the light and find your Father waiting to bring you into His home once and for all.’

The other part of the lyric that struck me is the last part that says ‘on that starry night, HE changed my life’. This is the core of Christianity. God is The Light, and HE is the one that changes us. It is by his Grace and His love alone that we are saved and pulled out of darkness. I thank God for his Love, and I also thank God for the many, many moons he placed in my darkest nights to show me the way. I thank Him for seeking after me, even in my darkest moments. I pray for each of you reading this, that you would be the FULL MOON in someone’s night, and that they would see the One True God’s light reflected in your life.

Hope you all have a great/safe weekend. Please continue to pray for us as we have our first home study visit tomorrow. Pray not only that our inspection would go well, but also that any real safety concerns for a child would come to light during the visit tomorrow and that we can appropriately address those concerns to provide the safest home environment possible for our child. Thank you all for following along with our family on this journey that God has placed in our hearts!

No comments:

Post a Comment